Tuesday, December 18, 2012

500 Days: The Letter Continued

And now, Amy's mom's perspective on her daughter's rescue...
---------
Veronica’s Joy

Nothing can describe the joy I feel at seeing Amy carried out the door by Reverend  Steadman.  I don't know how he did it, but somehow he got that evil man to stand down and Amy was released.  The air is thick with sun and dust.  She sees me and then falls to the ground.  I am so filled with joy and fear at the same time I feel as if I will go mad.  I’m screaming her name even as she has crumpled to the ground in front of me.  Steadman picks her up in his arms and carries her to the church. We lumber slow up the street.  Men hang from doorways staring at our slow procession as if we are on parade.  Perhaps, only an hour, maybe two has passed since we entered this town, but as we walk up that street to the church, my daughter limp in the Reverend ’s arms I feel like I’ve just walked straight out of hell. 

No comments: