Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 19. How to control your dreams

I got a little behind on my April poem-a-day prompts due to some exciting news. (More about this very soon!) But, today I had a moment to myself. I got a new book in the mail:
Jack London: Photographer edited by Jeanne Campbell Reesman and Sara S. Hodson.  It's a gorgeous book I had been saving up for and finally found a deal on.  A hardcover book the showcases and talks about Jack London's little known expertise in photography.  I found a beautiful photograph in it of Jack London on a small boat with a dog going down the Napa River and I could resist writing about it.  Hope you enjoy today's draft!


A Photograph of Jack London and One of His Dogs on the Napa River
How do you control your dreams?
Take them on a boat down a flat river
where what water you part reflects you back.

Cross under steel arcs of girders—bridges
like grinning mouths where suited men machine
their bodies from day to day.  Bring a dog.

Look ahead to the river’s mouth, bay, sea:
until what rises to horizon
is the un-mappable. There’s where journey

begins, rises from the sea.  Follow it.

No comments: